Protein is an essential component of a healthy diet, more so if the individual exercises. The average person requires 0.8 grams to 1 gram per kilogram of body weight. Meeting the daily protein goal is crucial in order to keep your system healthy, recover from your workouts, and of course build muscle. The best plant-based protein supplements in India help you reach your fitness goals, irrespective of what they may be.
Supplementing with protein powder makes consuming the required amount fairly simple. It is a good idea to supplement as the majority of the Indian diet includes vegetables, rice, and chapati. While there are small amounts of protein, these foods predominantly contain carbohydrates.
Why take a plant-based protein?
The best plant-based protein supplement can help the average Indian meet their fitness goals while maintaining their lifestyle. Vegetables, fruits, and lentils are predominant across India and are a staple food group. Further, there are certain medical conditions that may limit the amount of animal food people can consume. But the most common reasons that people avoid protein apart from the buying into the myths that surround them are given below.
- Lactose intolerance : A condition that arises when an individual is unable to break down the natural sugar lactose. Commonly found in milk and other dairy products. Whey protein is not an option for people with severe cases of lactose intolerance. In such cases, the best plant-based protein can fuel your workout and recovery. There are vegan options, mixed sources, all pea protein and more for a person to choose from.
- Vegetarian diet: India is a land of a seemingly endless culture whose roots lie in the Indus Valley civilization in 3300 BCE. Certain ancient practices and traditions have been passed down since time immemorial. Vegetarianism is amongst one of the most practiced religious and spiritual beliefs in modern India. A vegetarian lifestyle is one reason why standard whey protein is not consumed. Something to note, the red circle on the label is misunderstood for making whey a non-vegetarian item. In reality, the circle represents that whey is made from an ‘animal product’ in this case milk. Even so, a plant-based protein is the answer for those who are still skeptical about its contents.
Which are the best plant-based protein supplements in India?
When it comes to selecting the best plant-based protein supplement in India, it is important to remember not all supplements are created equally. A lot of changes right from ranging contents, price tags, protein amounts, and serving sizes need to be accounted for.
Here are the 7 best plant-based protein supplements in India, that you can choose from.
1. MyFitFuel Plant Pea Protein Isolate
- Protein per serving: Per scoop, you get 28g of high-quality pea protein that is not only easy to digest but gluten-free. As a bonus, you get 5g of BCAA and 4.7g of glutamine per scoop. Recovery is never an issue when supplementing with Myfitfuel.
- Carbohydrates per serving: Myfitfuel pea protein isolate does not have any carbohydrate content. This gives you the freedom to include more whole foods and carbohydrates in your diet. Ideal for people who are on a weight-loss program and deal with hunger-pangs.
- Calories per serving: Each scoop contains just 133 calories, this makes staying under your calorie limit easy and effortless. Further, you can increase your vegetable and salad portion sizes as there are almost 60 calories less than other products.
- Ingredients: The product is made solely from pea protein isolate. This means you get the maximum amount of protein from peas without any additional sources of fat and carb which is found in the coagulation.
- Number of servings: The 2.2lbs (1kg) bag gives you 30 servings, while, the 1.lbs bag offers 15 servings.
- Vegan: Yes, a vegetarian protein that is suitable for vegans since there is no animal produce.
2. Healthkart Protein – 80% All Natural Plant & Milk Protein
- Protein per serving: Each 10g serving gives you 8 grams of protein. The Healthkart product promotes muscle growth and repair alongside building your immunity.
- Carbohydrates per serving: Just a mere 0.7g of carbs are present in the supplement making it ideal for those eyeing their intake.
- Calories per serving: There are only 36.87 calories per serving. Even by consuming 3 scoops you get just 110 calories.
- Ingredients: Soy protein isolate and whey protein concentrate are the main ingredients of the product. They are naturally occurring substances, however, those with allergies towards soy should not consume.
- Number of servings: You get a whopping 100 servings with the 1kg container.
- Vegan: No. The product does contain whey protein which is made from milk. Not suitable for lactose intolerant persons either.
3. Plix The Plant Fix
- Protein per serving: 20g of protein is available in a single sachet. The sachet enables you to carry around your nutrition within your pocket and consume it on-the-go.
- Carbohydrates per serving: –
- Calories per serving:
- Ingredients: The proteincomprises peas and brown rice. Add it to coconut water for a tasty and refreshing electrolyte filled beverage.
- Number of servings: The 1kg pack contains 30 sachets.
- Vegan: Yes, the product is suitable for vegans since the ingredients include peas and brown rice. For best results consume it is as a post-workout supplement. the 9 essential amino acids replenish energy and prevent muscle breakdown.
4. Nature’s Velvet Pea Protein Isolate
- Protein per serving: A leading supplement in the non-dairy category. You get 26g of protein in with each 30g scoop. The best part, you get all 3 BCAAs that your body needs as well.
- Carbohydrates per serving: There are 0.9g of carbs in each serving making it negligible. If focusing on your macros is your priority this supplement ensures you hit your target with precision.
- Calories per serving: There are only 123 calories in each serving. A weight-loss program demands a protein source that isn’t high on calories, which is exactly what the protein is.
- Ingredients: Just plain good-old pea protein isolate.
- Number of servings: The container hosts 33 servings of rich pea protein isolate.
- Vegan: Yes. The product is vegetarian and suitable for vegans.
5. True Supplements Pure Pea Protein Isolate
- Protein per serving: 24g of protein ensures your daily protein goal does not feel like a milestone to achieve. You can consume 1-2 servings per day according to your needs.
- Carbohydrates per serving: 1g of carb per 30g scoop makes it ideal for athletes and people on low carb diets.
- Calories per serving: Just 110 calories with each serving. Remaining under your caloric limit is not as an issue with this supplement. You can add it to a bowl of oatmeal or a smoothie and feel fuller for longer.
- Ingredients: Peas from the base for this protein.
- Number of servings: 33 servings comprise the 1kg bag.
- Vegan: Yes. The product is suitable for vegans. Made purely from pea protein.
6. Oziva Protein & Herbs For Woman
- Protein per serving: 22g of protein from a 30g scoop is a great way to start your day. Loaded with 5.5g of BCAA you can fuel your workouts and minimize fatigue.
- Carbohydrates per serving:-
- Calories per serving: There are 116 calories in each serving, low calories, and great benefits. Further, the product helps support a healthy toned body, improves metabolism and shows positive effects on skin and hair.
- Ingredients: Made from unfiltered whey protein concentrate, whey isolate, flaxseeds, green tea, curcumin, tulsi, and cinnamon.
- Number of servings: Each container holds 16 servings.
- Vegan: No, this product contains dairy-products. Naturally, vegans or those with allergy to dairy should not consume this product.
7. Unived Organic Pea Protein Isolate
- Protein per serving: One serving comprises 25g of organic pea protein isolate. The refined powder ensures you get nothing but the best quality protein free of any coagulation.
- Carbohydrates per serving: Each serving contains just 3.4g of carbohydrates.
- Calories per serving: 144 calories accompany each scoop helping you maintain a lean body mass or lose weight according to your goals.
- Ingredients: The bulk of this product contains organic pea protein. Sourcing nothing but naturally growing peas. All the compounds are free of GMO’s and cholesterol. Further, the product is low in saturated fat.
- Number of servings: Unived pea protein offers you 30 servings in its 1.12kg bag. Also, this an ideal supply that lasts an entire month at one scoop a day.
- Vegan: Yes this product is suitable for vegans, containing only pea protein.
Why choose the best plant-based protein supplements in India?
In a diet devoid of supplements it can be difficult to not only meet your required protein goals but also get all 9 essential amino acids. The 9 essential amino acids that your body requires are not all present in plant-based food sources. By taking the best plant-based protein supplements in India, you save your self the trouble of mixing and combining foods. This can propel you on your fitness journey without altering your current lifestyle too much.
Veg is the new whey
A little wordplay aside, vegetarian protein sources are almost on par with whey protein. It is worthy to note that, there is still a gap in availability and digestibility. However, it is far too insignificant to fret over unless you are a professional athlete. Pea protein and other vegetarian protein offer you the same benefit as regular whey and whey isolate. The only trade-off from a neutral standpoint is the taste. Which you can easily overcome by adding your protein to a smoothie, some oatmeal with fruit, or some baked goodies.